Sunday, August 10, 2008

I'll obviously do anything for kettle corn.

Nice day today.  Weather was about perfect.   And of course we couldn't think of anything to do. Did all the usual Sunday morning things like read the paper, Joe mowed the lawn, I made breakfast.  Then I knew that if we didn't do SOMETHING I would spend the entire day staring blankly at Facebook on my Macbook like I did yesterday.  Since I'm starting to resemble some albino bat that lives in a cave and never sees the light of day, I thought I'd better get out of the house.  So I suggested (insert dramatic drum roll here)... The Gladiolus Festival.

Okay..I know...calm down...who plans a whole festival around a flower that's usually only used in funeral pieces.  MOMENCE, ILLINOIS, that's who.  Home of the Johnsonville Sausage by the way and apparently the gladiolus capital of the known world.  Who knew?   Anyway... they were supposed to be having a craft show, flea market, etc etc etc, ad nauseum.  How bad can it be?

Oh it could be bad.  As we walked onto the grounds, Joe SWEARS he heard the banjos from Deliverance playing in the background.   Everywhere I looked, men AND women looked just like Larry the Cable guy.  I kept thinking "I actually changed clothes for this?"  I tried to make the best of it as we went through the flea market/crap...  I mean CRAFT show... Emma found a Beanie Baby she couldn't live without.  There was table after table of empty Avon perfume bottles, cheap pressed glass candy dishes and Campbell's soup mugs all under the premise of being "collectable" or "antique".  Right.    So I think we spent all of 14.6 minutes there and back to the car we went.  

But we did stop at the ubiquitous Kettle Corn stand where I bought a bag of fresh Kettle Corn that was almost as tall as Emma.    Fabulous.

So now we can scratch the Momence Gladiolus Festival off our list of "Local Festivals to Visit". I think that just leaves us with the Hoopeston Sweet Corn Festival.  

I don't like Kettle Corn THAT much.

No comments: