Sunday, April 13, 2008

Update on Stunt Boy (aka Greg)

Lots of people are asking how Greg is doing, so I thought I'd do a small update...which always ends up being a long update and what the hell, I might has well just say I'm gonna write a book. Greg is doing really well. He's gone back to school and the girls' of course are all over him. A friend of ours told him to look at each of them sadly and say "And while I was flying through the air towards certain death...all I could think about was you". That's it....ride this pony as long as you can.
Anyway...his wounds have healed quite quickly. We're constantly smearing him with some sort of cream or another and wrapping him in gauze. Daily the amount of smearing has decrease as has the mummified areas. A good sign.

The ATV he was riding was owned by a friend's father. I'm told that after the accident...it was a perfect square...if you have seen a four wheeler before...they usually have a little more shape than that. The friend and his father have been working on it to restore it to it's former shape and function even though my father has promised to beat it flat with a sledge hammer if they get it anywhere close to running again. Several of Greg's friends used to keep their ATV's at Greg's dad's house and my older son Eric (the one killing Greg in the picture below) has encouraged them strongly ("get them the hell out of here!") to take their stuff home. He also brought a shiny new helmet to the hospital and put it on Greg's bed and said "You're an idiot! Wear one of these!" Greg giggled being under the influence of strong narcotics. Eric shook his head and then asked if I thought his grandfather would be mad if he bought a motorcycle. (Yes he was serious)
I've not gone to the accident site. I'm told there are 20 feet of skid marks before apparently Greg and ATV became airborne.
So, we're all hopelessly grateful to God and whatever angel was assigned to Greg last Saturday. The two boys that were with Greg when it happened and saw the whole thing remain a little freaked out. The story going around school started out with Greg tumbling around with a four wheeler to Greg, tumbling on a four wheeler, while on fire, being chased by lions while he juggled knives and fought off gang members like a Ninja while escaping from the cops and singing America the Beautiful. Because he lived through this event...Greg has become almost holy at school. Guys think he's superman....girls think he's the wounded hero.

I'm still going to kick his ass once he is better.

No comments: